Sunday, August 13, 2006

For the Love of the Game



This was the baseball movie with Kevin Costner. Wait. Let me rephrase that. This was one of like 3 or 4 baseball movies Kevin Costner has done (I don't think he's done yet). A bit of a chick flick, but it has sports in it, so it's okay. Pretty similar to Jerry Maguire actually, which is another one of my favorites. It's before Tom Cruise turned into a giant douche, but I digress. Originally I saw this movie when it was released on DVD. I liked it, but didn't give it much thought. It was good, Kelly Preston is a total babe, and it had a feel good ending. Costner is a solid actor (at least in baseball movies). Since that first viewing, I've seen the end of the movie on multiple occasions on cable.

About a month ago, I was laying on the couch watching movies or dvds or something (vegging out - how the hell do you spell that anyway?), when I caught this movie right at the beginning on Encore. Now the kicker is, it was about 3am on a Saturday. No I didn't go out that night. I was just chilling at home doing my own thing. I'm not a loser, you're the loser....No you are! Back to the movie. I stayed up the rest of the night and watched it. It was damn near 5 AM and the horizon was starting to get lighter. This time, the movie stayed with me. I loved it. I really did. It took about 2 full viewings, but something clicked for me. Not quite sure what it was, but it really elevated this movie into a whole another category, a sentiment that was shared by my younger brother, even though I didn't think he had seen this movie. Now I'm thinking about picking up the movie on DVD, especially it being so cheap. That would pretty much guarantee that I would never watch it again.

Funny, how sometimes watching a movie once isn't enough. I can watch a good movie multiple times and get something new out of it every time. I'll catch a new line that I didn't hear the 1st time, or I'll find something funny, that I didn't think was funny years ago when I first saw it. Like, I didn't realize when Forrest Gump is in his underwear in Jenny's dorm room, his clothes being all wet from the rain, that Forrest "sneezes in his pants". Years after first seeing the movie, I'm laughing at something new (to me). In Karate Kid, Johnny's smoke weed in the boys bathroom during the Halloween dance. When I was a kid, I just thought is was a cigarette. Anyways, those are just two examples out of many more, but you get the point.

Sometimes, I don't really find anything new. Sometimes, it's just a damn good movie that I can't change the channel to no matter how many times I've seen it. Apollo 13, Shawshank Redemption, (hell, even Bring it On), which are movies that I don't own (well now I own Shawshank), always get watched when they are on tv. Something about them just sucks me in. I swear TBS played Apollo 13 every weekend one summer, and I watched it damn near every weekend. Sad thing is, I held my breath every time we were waiting for the chutes to deploy.

No comments: