Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chuck Palahniuk's Choke


Yesterday on the train ride home, I finished Chuck Palahniuk's Choke and I must say I'm impressed. While I didn't quite like it as much as I liked Survivor, which I thought was amazing, I still had a great time reading it.
After reading Fight Club, then Survivor, I pretty much had Chuck's style down. Even so, I did not see the twist coming at the end. Great stuff.

Chuck's characters, especially the protagonist, always seem very likeable, even though they are pretty f'ed up and are what you would normally call "bad guys". You find yourself rooting for the bad guys. I love when a book or a movie can make me do that. That really fucks with my sense of right and wrong and makes me rethink my stance on things. Love it.

I also like the way Chuck has done his research extremely well because his books are always filled with random, but useful information. I'm curious to see if it's actually true, or something he made up. (I've heard it's true.) Denny's a dropout med school student with a sexual addiction. So in the book, you get to learn some medical terms and ailments as well as what goes on in rehab. In flashbacks, you see that Denny's mother teaches him things that you wouldn't learn in school, but are helpful to know in real life. For example, he learns about the "codes" given over a P.A. system in an airport, grocery store, department store. It's pretty interesting stuff.

My only complaint is I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what the hell is going on. That may be partly due to the writer's style, but I would probably peg most of the blame on my ADD.

I'm going to start Invisible Monster next. I expect it to be just as good as this one was.

No comments: